logo Navbar

Home | About ESA | Reporting Electrical Incidents | Employment | Contact Us

Report Electrical Product Safety Issue

You can use these on-line forms to make an enquiry, report an injury, or file a voluntary complaint about a product safety issue.

Ontario Regulation 438/07, Product Safety specifies pre-market approval requirements for all electrical equipment and products (including consumer electrical products) offered for sale in the Ontario marketplace and ESA has responsibility for safety oversight for post-market industrial products in the province.


For more information, you may call ESA at 1-877-ESA-SAFE (1-877-372-7233) and provide the information requested below.

Please note, the Canada Consumer Product Safety Act requires the reporting of incidents related to consumer electrical products.  A “consumer product” means a product, including its components, parts or accessories, that may reasonably be expected to be obtained by an individual to be used for non-commercial purposes, including for domestic, recreational and sports purposes, and includes its packaging.


For more information on these reporting obligations OR to report an injury or file a voluntary complaint about a consumer electrical product involving a safety issue, please visit Health Canada’s website at: http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/cps-spc/legislation/acts-lois/ccpsa-lcspc/index-eng.php

To report an injury or file a voluntary complaint about an unapproved electrical product issue OR
To report an injury or file a voluntary complaint about an industrial or commercial-only electrical product, please specify below your role with respect to the incident:

I am a ...
  Consumer , Commercial or Industrial Property Manager, or End-User
  Ontario Fire Marshal, Fire Department, Health Canada, Police, Ministry of Labour, or Insurance Investigator
  Manufacturer, Wholesaler, Importer, Distributor, Certification Body or Field Evaluation Agency
Please do not use these forms to ask questions or request information. For your question or request about electrical product issues, click here

ESA does not have jurisdiction over the following (use the links below to file a complaint with the proper agency):
Gas Products (including gas fireplaces, boilers and stoves), in Ontario contact Technical Standards and Safety Authority (TSSA)
Battery operated products, contact Health Canada
Electrical equipment used in the operation of an electric railway or electric street railway; railway vehicles, contact Ministry of Transportation
Equipment used to operate a railway; mines; or transportation, contact Ministry of Labour
Dissatisfaction with business practices, contact The Consumer Protection Branch - Government of Ontario